Thursday, May 10, 2012

Pinewood Derby

Hello! I have been so busy creating this week that I haven't done any blogging! Between the shop, magazine submissions and gifts for teachers and moms, I just haven't had the time to sit down and write a post. However, I just had to share my crafty contribution to our Pinewood Derby that took place last night.


I am one of the wolf den leaders, my husband is the assistant cub master, Colten is a bear and Carson is a wolf.   It's truly a family affair :). This was both of the boys' first derby and they had so much fun putting together their cars with Dad. In fact, they had so much fun that I was feeling a little left out. Until they needed to do make racing stripes on their cars, that is. Mom to the rescue with none other than washi tape! Ha! See, my washi tape collection comes in handy all the time :).


I volunteered to make the awards and knew that I would be putting my SRM Stickers stash to good use:


For overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd, I made trophy tubes. Filled with stoplight-colored candies, I simply added a prize ribbon to the top. To make the ribbons, I layered cardstock circles and added an extra-large SRM number sticker. The embellishment flags were easy to make, too. I cut a two inch length of ribbon and hot glued it to a lollipop stick.


For the fastest boys in each of their dens, I made ribbons with star accents. I used SRM numbers here, too, just the smaller ones.


Using a whole bunch of different congratulations-themed stickers, I also made "participation" ribbons. I left just enough space for each boy's name to be filled in.




Carson ended up winning 3rd place in his den and Colten got 2nd place in his den. They didn't place overall, but they've already analyzed what went wrong and have started designing next year's cars :).

I'll be back tomorrow with another SRM Stickers project! Have a great day! Tessa

3 comments:

  1. How totally fun Tessa! Your boys are lucky to have such a crafty mom creating such fun things in their lives. Love the TUBES, your use of the SRM numbers and all those ribbons with sentiments of congratulations. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. only a crafty mom with a washi tape addiction (me) would appreciate this! Great projects! and OMG their smiles are priceless! But sometimes when I want to do crafty stuff like this for my daughter, she says I look like I want to be an overachiever/showoff, not understanding that we all just have a passion for anything involving scrapbook supplies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I totally understand! I'm pretty sure there were eye rolls when I volunteered to make the awards. I don't care, the boys loved them!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!