Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Welcome to the Nest

Hello! I wanted to share the wreath I made for my son's teacher today.


For this wreath, I started with a phrase - welcome to the nest. I knew I wanted a mama bird and an egg, all cuddled together in a little nest, perched in flowers. I wasn't sure which colors to use because they don't know if their baby is a boy or girl, and I didn't want to ask the nursery colors and give away the surprise of the gift. So, I found my bird and went from there. 


I added a bright spring green to lighten up the palette. I had to dye the egg to match the green yarn (alcohol inks were perfect for this). I made flowers from white and coral felt, then added a pair of silk green flowers. 


My favorite part is the banner. I hand cut the pennants from broadcloth and stamped the alphas with brown Staz-On ink. I hung the pieces on embroidery floss and finished the ends with sweet little bows.


Carson's teacher loved the wreath and come to find out, the nursery is brown and green! Now if it's a girl, the coral will be the perfect feminine touch :). And if not, well, good thing it wasn't pink ;).


I hope all is well for you! The baby and I (baby, he's almost three!) came down with the flu this past week. While Josh was out of town. And CHA assignments were coming in. Ack! So, if I'm a little quiet for awhile, just know I'm busy and will be sharing quite a bit soon. Have a wonderful day! Tessa

7 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS! I always love your wreaths and this one is amazing! Hope you and the 'baby' (I call both of mine the babies and they are 6 and 4 lol) are feeling better asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreathes are gorgeous! I thought of you last night while I was cutting strips of muslin for a wreath I am making.

    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A banner on a wreath...what could be better. :) Hope you and your family are feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the colors. What a special gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I love the color and the twine that you used. Beautiful wreath.

    builders

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :). If you don't see your comment appear right away, don't fret. I'm screening for spam and will approve your post as soon as I can. Have a great day!